Landlord Advice

All landlords have a duty of care to ensure that their tenants are safe.

From 4th July 2016 Blackpool Council will also be running an additional licensing scheme in the Central area of Blackpool. This will run alongside the Mandatory HMO licensing scheme.

The designation applies to all HMO’s within the designated area, as defined by section 254 Housing Act 2004, which are occupied by 3 or more persons, comprising 2 or more households (irrespective of the number of storeys within the HMO). This may be a property of any number of storeys with shared facilities, or a property converted into self-contained flats that fall within section 257 Housing Act 2004, and are converted flats that do not comply with 1991 building regulations and where more than one third are rented out on short term tenancies.

If you are unsure if your property falls within the designated criteria/area then you will need to contact Blackpool Council on 01253 476841.

You must check to see if a licence is required for your property. It is a criminal offence carrying a maximum fine of £20,000 to operate an HMO without a licence if it requires one.

Energy Performance Certificate

From April 2018, landlords of privately rented domestic and non-domestic property in England or Wales must ensure that their properties reach at least an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants.