Landlord FAQs

My Blackpool Home is committed to providing a high standard of letting and managed service. In this section you will find the most common frequently asked questions about letting your property.

How much will it cost me to let my property?

This will depend on what package you choose to take. My Blackpool Home offers 3 different packages, Let Only, Let & Rent Collection and Full Management. Please see the different packages for the full prices and services offered.

Why should I use a letting Agency?

Choosing a fully managed service allows you to relax, and creates a distance between you and the tenant(s), this means you can avoid dealing with rent arrears and deposit disputes.

What documents do I need to provide?

You will need to provide My Blackpool Home with the following documentation before we are able to let your property:

  • ID Proof
  • Proof of ownership of the property
  • Proof of Buy to Let Mortgage/permission from Mortgage lender to let property Insurance
  • Gas Safety Certificate
  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • Completed My Blackpool Home landlord application form

Do I need to tell my mortgage lender that I am letting my property?

Yes, you will need to get permission from your mortgage lender, and they may impose special conditions.

How do I know what rent to charge?

My Blackpool Home will be able to assess your property and advise what rent you could expect to receive.

Who makes the decision on whether a tenant is right for my property?

We will complete a full application form with all tenants, obtaining a credit check and full references. If the applicant passes all these stages, we will approach you to see whether you want to accept them as a tenant(s). The final decision over whether to accept a tenant is yours, and if you so wish, you can meet them beforehand.

How do I receive rental income from My Blackpool Home?

If you have selected either the Full Management, or Let and & Rent Collection package, then My Blackpool Home will arrange for the tenant(s) to pay their rent direct to My Blackpool Home. We will then transfer these funds, minus our commission or fees direct into your bank account.

If you have selected the Let Only package, we will provide your tenant with your bank details, in order for them to arrange a standing order for funds to be paid direct to you.

What if the tenant fails to pay their rent?

My Blackpool Home will endeavour to get tenants to pay their rent in full and on time. However, if you want to ensure you receive all the rent owed to you, we would recommend that you take out rent protection insurance (if the tenant is eligible for this cover).

What happens to my tenant’s deposit?

All landlord and letting agents are required to register tenants’ deposits with an approved Tenancy Deposit scheme. The deposit will either be held by the landlord, agent, or the scheme itself, depending on which scheme you choose. My Blackpool Home is able to give you advice on what scheme will be best for you.

How often will My Blackpool Home inspect the property?

If you have chosen our Full Management package, then we will carry out periodic inspections on your property. The initial inspection will be completed after 1 month and a second inspection after 6 months. If the tenant remains in the property after this time and there have been no issues, we will then inspect every 12 months. If however, there have been any concerns over the state of the property we will increase the frequency of these inspections to ensure the tenant keeps it to an acceptable standard.

What happens if the tenant causes damage to the property?

If your tenant causes damage to the property, they will have to either pay to fix the damage, or the cost for fixing the damage will be removed from the tenants deposit at the end of the tenancy. Fair wear and tear should be allowed for.

What sort of Tenancy Agreement should I use?

My Blackpool Home can provide you with an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement for you to use. Tenancies are usually granted for 6 to 12 months. When the fixed term has expired this will then turn into a rolling periodic tenancy.

Why do I need an inventory?

Your inventory will provide a detailed list of the contents and condition of your property prior to the tenant(s) moving in. It is important that you hold proof of the original condition of the property, should there be a dispute over damage at the end of the tenancy. The cost of the inventory is included in the tenant finding fee.

Why do I need a Gas Safety Certificate?

Under the Gas Safety (installation and Use) Regulations 1998, all landlords are required by law to have their gas appliances, pipes and flues checked by a qualified Gas Safe Registered engineer every 12 months. Full records must be kept for at least 2 years of inspections of each appliance and any remedial works completed. A copy of the safety certificate issued by the engineer must be given to each new tenant before their tenancy commences, or to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being carried out.

Why do I need an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a report detailing the efficiency of a property. It gives the property an efficiency rating from A-G and is valid for 10 years. All landlords are required by law to purchase an EPC for a property before they let it. From April 2018, landlords of privately rented domestic and non-domestic property in England or Wales must ensure that their properties reach at least an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants.

Do I need to get my electrical appliances tested?

Electrical devices with a property should be checked to ensure they are safe. My Blackpool Home would recommend either an Installation Survey or Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) to ensure the devices are safe.

Does the property need a smoke alarm and a Carbon Monoxide alarm?

From 01st October 2015 all landlords are required to fit a smoke alarm to each storey of a premise where there is a room that is wholly or partly used as living accommodation. This includes halls and landings. Therefore a smoke detector is required on each storey.

From 01st October 2015 all landlords are also required to fit a Carbon Monoxide alarm in any room that is used partly or wholly as living accommodation, which also contains any appliance which burns, or is capable of burning, solid fuel. This includes log and coal burning stoves and open fires, even if they are not normally in use, but does not include gas and oil boilers. There is no legal requirement to fit a Carbon Monoxide alarm for gas boilers, but My Blackpool Home does require this to be fitted as part of our property standards.

Do I need to do a Legionella Risk Assessment?

Legionella is a potentially fatal illness like pneumonia which can be caught by inhaling bacteria generated by hot and cold water heating systems including storage tanks which are not functioning properly or have been stagnant for some time. The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and the control of Substances Hazardous to Health 1999 have recently changed and the Control of Legionella bacteria in Water Systems Approved Code of Practice (“ACOP L8”) now applies to domestic living. It is recommended that all landlords of residential rental properties have a Legionella Risk Assessment completed every two years to comply with the law.

You can complete this risk assessment yourself.

To decrease the risk of Legionella you can do the following if the property has been left empty:

  • Taps – run them for 3-5 minutes
  • Shower – Flush this safely without creating water droplets by placing the shower head in a plastic bag, filling the bag with water then gently pouring the water away
  • Toilet – flush twice to circulate fresh water through the system and empty the cistern, ensuring the lid is down
  • If you have an electric hot water tank, it is advised that the water is fully heated to 60 at least 2 or 3 times per week.

How can I get back possession of my property?

You can get back possession of your property at the end of the fixed term providing you have served a section 21 notice 2 months prior to the end of the fixed term. In addition, if the tenant owes at least 2 months or 8 weeks rent on the property you can apply through the court to seek a possession order.

Can I enter my property during the tenancy?

All tenants have the right to peacefully occupy their home without unreasonable interruption and interference. If you do require entry to the property you need to give the tenant appropriate notice in writing, unless it is an emergency and the property is at risk.

Who is responsible for the Council Tax?

While the property is tenanted the tenant is responsible for the Council Tax. My Blackpool Home will inform the Council when new tenants move in. The landlord is responsible for the Council Tax for any periods when the property is empty.

What is Right to Rent?

Right to Rent was introduced in the Immigration Act 2014 as part of the government’s policy to curb illegal immigration. From 01st February 2016 all landlords are required by law to check to the immigration status of all tenants (and anyone over the age of 18 who will be residing in the property), before they enter into tenancy agreements. My Blackpool Home can complete these checks on your behalf. A record of these checks must be kept for the length of the tenancy.

What is The Property Ombudsman?

All letting agents are required to be a member of a property redress scheme. These schemes are an independent body to which landlords can refer any complaint, should the agent fail to address it to their satisfaction. The redress scheme that My Blackpool Home is a member of is The Property Ombudsman.

I have been approached by a tenant who is eligible to receive deposit/bond assistance from Blackpool Council, what do I need to do?

My Blackpool Home works closely with the Housing Options Team at Blackpool Council. If you have been approached by a tenant who has been accepted to the Bond Scheme, please contact a member of our team on 01253 477222 to discuss how the process works.